COUNSELS AND THOUGHTS FOR THE SPIRITUAL LIFE OF BELIEVERS
THOMAS MOOR, An Elder in Spurgeon's Park Street Chapel and the Metropolitan Tabernacle
GREAT NEWS: WE HAVE LOWERED THE LIST PRICE FROM $38.00 TO $30.00 DUE TO A LARGE ORDER WE PLACED WITH OUR PRINTER. THIS IS ALLOWING US TO REDUCE OUR SALE PRICE SIGNIFICANTLY.
WE EXPECT THIS NEW PRINT-RUN TO BE AVAILABLE BY THE LATTER PART OF JULY.
WONDERFUL NEWS: On Tuesday, May 12th, 2020 we received a call from Tom Nettles who informed me that he discovered that THOMAS MOOR, author of this book, was an Elder in C.H. Spurgeon's Park Street Chapel from the early years and one of his responsibilities was to Interview prospective members. Recently a book was published, titled WONDERS OF GRACE, compiled by Hannah Wycoll, which includes some 138 written testimonies recorded by the elders who received and recorded those testimonies. More than 20 of these were written by THOMAS MOOR, and written in a style very similar to his book COUNSELS & THOUGHTS which was published many years later (in 1882). Having uncovered this long-buried secret, it becomes evident where Moor was trained and prepared to write as he did so many years later.
THIS IS THE BOOK FEATURED IN DECEMBER 2019 IN THE OUTSTANDING DAILY DEVOTIONAL SERVICE 'WEB GEMS'
THIS IS A BRAND NEW EDITION OF THE 1883 SECOND EDITION OF A TRUE SPIRITUAL CLASSIC.
C.H. SPURGEON'S SWORD & THE TROWEL had this to say about this long-buried gem first published in 1882: "These are no ordinary religious 'snatches,' in the form of daily portions for believers. The author's vessel does not hug the coast of ordinary experience, but launches out into the deep waters of confident trust, assured faith, and intense consecration. Every paragraph tells of an experimental fellowship with Jesus and a closeness of intercourse which fit it for becoming the guide and adviser of others. Certainly there is here no milk for babes, but strong meat for those who are of full age."
DR. JOEL BEEKE, President, Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary, Grand Rapids, Michigan, "Would you like to read a great book on genuine Reformed spirituality that provides wise counsel to assist you in growing in conformity to Christ and in your walk with the triune God? Read this book, use it as a daily devotional, and savor its wisdom for your soulís good."
DR. TOM NETTLES just wrote the following: "In our consistent legalistic propensity to look to some degree of merit in our works in order for God to bless us with his pleasure and presence, we need a consistent reminder of the spiritual power and absolute sufficiency to be found in the death of Christ and the perfection of his righteousness. This mysterious author has done all of us a spiritual favor by holding our feet to the fire in recognizing that all spiritual blessings of whatever sort come to us only in Christ and his redemptive work."
FOOTSTEPS OF TRUTH had the following glowing words for this book: "This is a choice volume, by no ordinary scribe; a delightful combination of the good old Puritan Doctrine and advanced spiritual instruction, such as could be given only by one deeply imbued with the unction of the Holy One, resulting from a comprehensive grasp of Scripture teaching, extending over the wide field of doctrine and practice, and bearing upon the INNER and OUTER life of the children of God. The Index on the opening pages (see below) awakens an appetite which is fully supplied in the rich fare throughout the book; and it seems to us impossible that any believer can rise from its perusal without a deeper sense of his indebtedness to God for the riches of grace he is here so sweetly reminded of as being provided for all his necessities in relation to life, conflict and final victory. This is truly a book for the times, and we give it our strongest commendation, hoping that the entire edition may be speedily exhausted."
"This book is published, as its title indicates, for the use of believers--that is, for the use of all whose who, through grace, have been effectually led to see, in some measure, their position as sinners before God, and their deep need of salvation through the atoning death of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Its aim, through the gracious influence of the Holy Spirit, is to be helpful to them for their establishment in the full assurance of faith, in relation to their perfected and unchanging salvation in Christ; also to be useful to them in their conflict with indwelling sin; and to assist them in their endeavor to live a life of faith on the Lord Jesus, to walk in daily fellowship with Him, and to be at all times His faithful witnesses.
It purposely contains repetitions of Gospel statements; for, although the spiritual needs of believers are many and varied, there is but one great fountain of fullness for all, even the Lord Jesus Christ Himself; for 'the sum of all spiritual progress and spiritual life is--more of Christ in the mind, better to know Him--more of Christ in the heart, better to love Him, and to be more influenced by Him--more of Christ in the life, better to serve Him' (page 166).
Moreover, those who have been privileged to have much intercourse with believers in relation to their spiritual experience in all its varied stages, and in relation to the many mistakes and heart troubles they fall into, are well aware that spiritual truths which the believer had often thought about, without any apparent benefit, have, when presented to the mind in a different form, or in a different relationship, or at a different time, often has been made instrumental of much blessing through the gracious influence of the Holy Spirit.
The fifth part of this book (pages 252-398) contains three divisions of briefer thoughts and counsels. Each division contains thirty-one; so that those who find them helpful in their spiritual life, may use them daily for three months.
One paper in the second part, two in the third, the last two in the fourth, and about one-third of the fifth part, were published separately some years ago. They have been revised, and are now included in this volume.
May our gracious Father--the Father also of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ--grant that this attempt to be useful to His eternally-loved, but often much-tried children, may result in much glory to the name of Jesus, in their hearts and lives, through the effectual blessing of the Holy Spirit."
Thomas Moor, July 1881
FIRST PART: Counsels and Thoughts Concerning the Believer's Standing in Full Salvation
1) To the Believer--On Living in the Unclouded Enjoyment of Covenant Blessings
2) To the Believer--Concerning Legal and Filial Reconciliation to God, and Concerning the Forgiveness of Sins
3) Concerning the Distinctive Character of the Faith of God's Elect
4) To the Believer--Concerning Sinnership and Salvation
5) Concerning some of the Cause of Soul Bondage
6) To the Believer--Concerning the Attainment of the Full Assurance of Salvation
7) Concerning the Difference between the Religion of the Natural and the Spiritual Man
8) Concerning the Father's Indication of those Sinners who are the Objects of His Love and Salvation
9) To the Believer--Concerning the Experimental Results of Being in Christ
10) Concerning Receiving Christ and the Result Thereof
11) Concerning the Beginning of the Work of Grace in the Heart as being the Sure Pledge of its Completion
12) To the Believer--Concerning the Foundation of an Assured Hope
13) Concerning the Course of Experimental Salvation and its Manifestations
14) Concerning Some Things to be Remembered
15) Concerning Heart-Experiences in a Dying Hour
16) Concerning the Written Word as a Sure Foundation for Abiding Consolation in Relation to the Present and Future World
17) Concerning the Perfect Safety of True Believers and the Impossibility of their Finally Falling Away
18) Concerning Believers and the Curse of the Law of God
19) Concerning the Most Prominent Truths Experimentally Taught by the Holy Spirit
SECOND PART: Counsels and Thoughts Concerning the Spiritual Conflict in the Inner Life of Believers
1) Concerning the Inward Conflicts
2) To the Believer--Concerning the Way of Success in the Conflict with Indwelling Sin
3) Concerning the Believer's Relationship to the First and Last Adam
4) Concerning the Way of Victory under Temptation from Sinful Thoughts and the Power of Satan
5) To the Believer--Concerning the Importance of Encouraging the Habits of the New Nature
6) Concerning the Evidence and Effect of More Grace
7) To the Believer--Concerning his Dealings with Evil Self
8) Concerning Dissatisfying Experiences
9) Concerning the Trials Arising from a Keenly Sensitive Nature
10) To the Believer--Concerning a Divided Heart
11) Concerning the Influence of Little Things
12) Concerning Self-Love
13) Concerning Spiritual Growth
14) On the Proper Order of Faith and Experience
15) To the Believer--Concerning the Way of Consciously Receiving Power from the Lord Jesus in Heart Conflict with the Evils Within
THIRD PART: Counsels and Thoughts Concerning a Life of Faith on the Lord Jesus, and Walking in Fellowship with Him in the Daily Path
1) To the Believer--Concerning Personal Dealing with the Lord Jesus in the Providential Path
2) About Looking to the Lord Jesus
3) Need Met in Christ
4) Concerning Sincerity of Heart in Walking before God and before Men
5) On the Excellency of a Resigned Will
6) To the Believer--Concerning Intercourse with Unbelievers, and Fellowship with Fellow-Believers
7) To the Believer--Concerning Rest and Help in Jesus Amidst Seemingly Adverse Providences
8) On Living upon Christ
9) On Prevailing Faith
10) On Being Led by the Spirit
11) To the Believer--About Realizing Christ's Presence
12) To the Believer--Concerning Growth in Grace, and the Fuller Experience of Life in Christ
13) To the Believer--Concerning a Rightly Directed Faith
14) On Living to the Glory of Christ
15) To the Believer--Concerning the Discipline of Love
16) Pilgrim Trials and Pilgrim Fellowships
17) Concerning Personal Relationship Between God and Man
18) To the Believer--Concerning the Way of Fellowship with the Lord Jesus
19) Further Thoughts and Counsels to the Believer Concerning the Way of Fellowship with the Lord Jesus
FOURTH PART: Counsels and Thoughts Concerning Justification, Sanctification, the Law & Gospel, and National Israel and Spiritual Israel
1. Concerning Justification
2. Concerning Sanctification
3. Concerning the Responsibility of the Natural and Spiritual Man in Relation to the Law and the Gospel
4. Concerning the Distinction Between the Relationship of God to the National Israel of the Past, and the Spiritual Israel of the Present Dispensation
FIFTH PART: Brief Thoughts and Counsels, with Special Portions of Scripture for the Spiritual Life in the Daily Path
First Division: Consisting of 31 Daily Meditations
Second Division: Consisting of 31 Daily Meditations
Third Division: Consisting of 31 Daily Meditations
INDEX OF TEXTS IN THE FIFTH PART
MY FAVORITE 5 SOLID GROUND BOOKS
*A Pastor's Sketches (Double Volume) by Ichabod Spencer
Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss
*Counsels and Thoughts on the Spiritual Life of Believers by Thomas Moor
The Person and Work of the Holy Spirit by Benjamin B. Warfield
The Risen Christ Conquers Mars Hill by Manton, Watson, Edwards, Davies, Dick, Thornwell, Eadie, Ryle, Warfield, Stonehouse, Van Til & Bahnsen
(* means it is a hardcover volume)
BNTSG t10 bfss l2o b50 319 am5 10l lc6 2gb tmt MY5 1776S gmcg
416 PAGE HARDCOVER EDITION - (SPECIAL PRICE FOR OUR NEW TITLE SALE)
SGCB Price: $14.75 (list price $30.00)
In Relation to: Full Salvation in Christ, Spiritual Conflict, Faith & Fellowship, Justification & Sanctification
ORDER 5-9 COPIES OF 'COUNSELS & THOUGHTS'
SGCB Price: $13.50 (list price $30.00)
ENTER THE QUANTITY 5 - 9 AND THEN UPDATE QUANTITY
ORDER 10+ COPIES AND GET 60% DISCOUNT OF OUR REDUCED PRICE
SGCB Price: $12.00 (list price $30.00)
ENTER THE QUANTITY 10+ AND THEN UPDATE QUANTITY
ORDER WITH 'A PASTOR'S SKETCHES' OUR OTHER GREATEST TITLE EVER PUBLISHED
SGCB Price: $33.75 (list price $70.00)
THIS IS THE PRICE FOR BOTH HARDCOVER VOLUMES (OVER 50% Off)