BEYOND THE 95 THESES: Martin Luther's Life, Thought and Lasting Legacy
STEPHEN J NICHOLS
Does your knowledge of Martin Luther's writings start and end with the hymn 'A Mighty Fortress Is Our God'?
As we celebrate the 500th anniversary of the Reformation he put into motion, we discover a Martin Luther who was one of history's most colorful and influential figures. His story is well known, but his powerful writing is often unfamiliar to us.
This illustrated introductory guide to Luther's life, theology, and works introduces and summarizes his major writings, such as 'The Bondage of the Will 'and 'On the Councils and the Church', and includes, with annotations, the complete 'Ninety-Five Theses'. Stephen Nichols also gives encouragement and guidance for studying Luther's ethical writings, 'table talk,' hymns, and sermons. Includes a select guide for further reading.
Table of Contents:
Part One: Luther, a Life
1. The Early Years: 1483-1521
2. The Later Years: 1522-1546
Part Two: Luther, the Reformer
3. The Meat of the Nut: Understanding Luther's Theology
4. Silent No More: The Three Treatises
5. The Centerpiece of the Reformation: The Bondage of the Will
6. This Is My Body: Confession Concerning Christ's Supper
7. Plagues, Princes, and Peasants: Ethical Writings
Part Three: Luther, the Pastor
8. The Next Generation: The Small Catechism
9. Dinner with Luther: 'Table Talk'
10. A New Song Begun: The Hymns
11. The Marks of a True Church: On the Councils and the Church
12. The Reluctant Pastor: The Sermons
Part Four: Luther's Ninety-Five Theses
13. The Annotated Ninety-Five Theses: Disputation on the Power and Efficacy of Indulgences
A Brief Guide to Book by and about Martin Luther
'As we celebrate the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, may we not only appreciate the profound ways God used Martin Luther, but may we learn from him. Dr. Nichols gives us a front-row seat on Luther's life. As we watch, may we have the same boldness and the same lifelong commitment to the gospel.' - R.C. Sproul, Founder, Ligonier Ministries
'A marvelous mixture of biography, history, theology, and anecdote. If you don't feel the heartbeat of the Reformation in these pages, check your pulse!'á- Sinclair Ferguson, Coauthor, Church History 101
'Rarely do we find the rich combination of theological precision and historical passion so accessibly written as we do here in Dr. Nichols' entertaining treatment of Martin Luther. A marvelous introduction.'- Derek W. H. Thomas, Professor of Systematic and Pastoral Theology, Reformed Theological Seminary, Atlanta
Author: Stephen J. Nichols (PhD, Westminster Theological Seminary) is president of Reformation Bible College and chief academic officer of Ligonier Ministries.
PR5 CW3 svs
Nearly 55% Discount
SGCB Price: $7.00 (list price $17.00)
ORDER WITH OUR 22 OVERSTOCK TITLES FOR MORE THAN 90% OFF
SGCB Price: $35.00 (list price $373.00)
THIS IS THE PRICE FOR ALL 22 VOLUMES