THE RISEN CHRIST CONQUERS MARS HILL: Classic Discourses on Paul's Ministry in Athens
Manton, Watson, Edwards, Davies, Dick, Thornwell, Eadie, Ryle, Warfield, Stonehouse, Van Til & Bahnsen, Foreword by Sinclair Ferguson
We have gathered together a full dozen champions of the faith to expound upon Paul's ministry in Athens. It is believed that traversing this powerful passage in Acts 17 will deepen our faith in the risen and conquering Lord. We have decided to list these works in the order in which they were delivered, thus Thomas Manton is first and Greg Bahnsen is last. Although there will certainly be some repetition of thoughts and ideas, it is believed that the various gifts and approaches of each man will give a freshness to each discourse.
Sinclair Ferguson wrote the Foreword in which he says, "From the opening exposition of a seventeenth century Westminster Divine to the closing expositions of three twentieth century scholars associated with Westminster Seminary, 'The Risen Christ Conquers Mars Hill' is a brilliantly conceived compilation of studies calculated both to educate and to stimulate. Paul's great sermon to the intellectual elite of a declining Athens is one of the great moments in Church history. It well repays careful study for its foundational theology, its methodology as a presentation of the gospel of God to a pagan audience, and for the passion for Christ that lay behind it. Here is careful theological exegesis, biblical doctrine, practical application, and sharp-edged apologetics all in one volume. The result? A book that cannot fail to instruct the mind, encourage confidence in the gospel's integrity, and challenge the church to a new boldness in witnessing to our paganism-restoring culture."
Dr. Samuel Waldron said the following about this upcoming volume: "Few passages are as important as Acts 17 for the subjects of apologetics and evangelism in this post-modern age. And few passages have over the years been more badly misinterpreted than Paul's address to the Areopagus in Athens. Let me especially commend the articles by Stonehouse, Bahnsen, and Van Til towards the end of this volume. They are worth the price by themselves."
Dr. Robert Paul Martin added, "Paul's address at Mars Hill gives us a glimpse into how the gospel was effectively preached in a thoroughly pagan culture, such as the one in which we now live. Gleaning the best treatments of this address from past ages, Solid Ground has given us a primer on how to speak to our contemporaries."
(1) Thomas Manton (1620-1677) - Sermon Upon Acts 17:30-31
(2) Thomas Watson (1620-1686) - The Day of Judgment Asserted
(3) Jonathan Edwards (1703-1758) - The Final Judgment: or, The World Judged Righteously by Jesus Christ
(4) Samuel Davies (1723-1761) - The Universal Judgment
(5) John Dick (1764-1833) - Paul in Athens, from 'Lectures on the Acts of the Apostles'
(6) James H. Thornwell (1812-1862) - The Necessity and Nature of Christianity
(7) John Eadie (1810-1876) - Paul at Athens, from Chapter 10, 'Paul the Preacher'
(8) J.C. Ryle (1816-1900) - Athens, from 'The Upper Room'
(9) B.B. Warfield (1851-1921) - False Religions and the True, from 'Biblical, Theological Studies'
(10) Ned B. Stonehouse: (1902-1962) - The Areopagus Address, from the Tyndale New Testament Lecture, 1949
(11) Cornelius Van Til (1895-1987) - Paul at Athens, a Booklet
(12) Greg Bahnsen (1948-1995) - The Encounter of Jerusalem with Athens, from 'Always Ready'
MY 5 FAVORITE SOLID GROUND TITLES
*A Pastor's Sketches (Double Volume) by Ichabod Spencer
Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss
*Counsels and Thoughts on the Spiritual Life of Believers by Thomas Moor
The Person and Work of the Holy Spirit by Benjamin B. Warfield
The Risen Christ Conquers Mars Hill by Manton, Watson, Edwards, Davies, Dick, Thornwell, Eadie, Ryle, Warfield, Stonehouse, Van Til & Bahnsen
(* means it is a hardcover volume)
THIS WILL BE A 420 PAGE LARGE PAPERBACK
SG COMMENTARY bfs MY5
NEARLY 60% Discount on this Great Title
SGCB Price: $15.00 (list price $35.00)
ORDER ALL 5 OF 'MY FAVORITE TITLES' AND SAVE EVEN MORE
SGCB Price: $65.00 (list price $145.00)
ALSO GET A FREE COPY OF 'THOUGHTS FOR YOUNG MEN' BY RYLE - THE FIRST BOOK I PUBLISHED IN 1991