THE GREAT MYSTERY OF THE COVENANT OF GRACE: The Difference between the Old and New Covenant Stated and Explained
Samuel Petto (1624-1711) with Preface by John Owen
The original work was published in the 1670s and has a Foreword by John Owen. Samuel Petto (c 1624-1711) was a dissenting minister in Sudbury, Suffolk. The list of 29 Scottish ministers recommending the book in 1820 include M'Crie of Edinburgh and Kidd of Aberdeen.
LAST PRINTED IN 1820 UNTIL TENTMAKER REPRINTED IT IN 2007
FIRST SOLID GROUND EDITION JUST ARRIVED IN JULY OF 2020
John Owen concludes his excellent Preface with these words:
"This worthy author has laboured, if I am not much mistaken, unto good success. And, as his design is to extricate things which seemed perplexed, to give light into the whole doctrine of the covenants, by declaring the proper order and method of things contained in them, with their respect one unto another; that the grace of God, in the Covenant of Grace, may be exalted, and his faithfulness, with his holiness, in the Covenant of Works, both in and by Jesus Christ, the end of the one, and the life of the other. So the reader will find, I hope, that satisfaction in these great and deep enquiries, which he will have occasion to return praise and thanks to God for."
Mark Jones concludes his excellent New Introduction with these words:
"The rewards are to be reaped from a careful study of this work. I would suggest keeping a Bible and pencil close by since Petto is constantly making reference to the Scriptures without giving the quotation of the passage cited. But more importantly, I would suggest keeping your heart firmly fixed upon the Lord Jesus Christ as he reveals to you, by his Spirit, THE GREAT MYSTERY OF THE COVENANT OF GRACE."
NEW INTRODUCTION by Mark Jones
ORIGINAL PREFACE by John Owen
Table of Contents
1. Of a Covenant in general, and the distribution of the Covenant into that of works and of grace.
2. Of the oneness of the Covenant with Jesus Christ and us.
3. Of Christ as the sum of the Covenant.
4. Of the date of Covenant Mercies
5. General Inferences from the whole
6. Of the Old and New Covenant, what they are, and how distinct,
7. Of the nature of the Mount Sinai Covenant
8. Of the Sinai Covenant, whether ceased or continuing
9. Of the good that was in the Sinai Covenant
10. Of the differences between the Old and New Covenant, and the excellency of the latter above the former
11. Of the time of first coming into Covenant
12. Of the use of Absolute Promise
13. Of those that are called Conditional Promise
GMCG 12S 5nt rbct sgts dsfc
NEW-PUBLICATION TITLE: Now Available to Ship (Nearly 50% Off)
SGCB Price: $12.95 (list price $25.00)
Order with COVENANT THEOLOGY: From Adam to Christ by Samuel Coxe & John Owen
SGCB Price: $35.00 (list price $65.00)
THIS IS THE COST OF BOTH TITLES (Over 42% Off)